So to continue with February’s theme, my next personal grooming product I’ve made is a strawberry lip gloss, also from a kit from The Soap Kitchen (www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk). It’s one of their kids’ activity packs, and comes with the following instructions:
Funky Strawberry Lip Gloss
This is such a simple product to make and it really does look great in the container with the colour swirling within the clear like a Lava Lamp. It comes as either a project pack or activity pack available for this recipe to make 10 bottles.
Vegetable Glycerine; castor oil (refined or BP grade); flavour of your choice (strawberry in this kit); colour (red pigment – USE SPARINGLY!!); Vitamin E (pure version for use as preservative).
A stainless steel (or heat-proof) container; a teaspoon; a small funnel (optional, but it makes things easier); 10ml clear glass roller-ball bottle(s).
- Fill each bottle at least 3/4 full with vegetable glycerine. (This will be easier if you have a tiny funnel to use!)
- Take your castor oil (refined or BP grade only!) and put it in a small, preferably stainless steel container which can be gently heated over the hob (one of those 1/2 or 1 cup measures with handles is ideal).
- Take a very small amount of Red Lake 5 (or similar) pigment. (NB It is important to only use a Lake pigment as they are oil-soluble.) Add this to the castor oil and stir in well over a gentle heat, making sure the pigment disperses fully and there’s no “spotting”. Make it up to the desired depth of colour a little at a time depending on how much castor oil you are colouring.
- Take the castor oil off the heat. DO NOT OVERCOLOUR AS THE PIGMENT WILL STAIN!!!
- Add 2-3 drops of your chosen flavour per lip gloss bottle and stir in well.
- Once cooled, add the coloured, flavoured castor oil to each lip gloss bottle, up to the neck, and close the bottle with the roller-ball housing.
You’ll find that because the castor oil and glycerine have similar viscosities but remain separated, if you turn the bottle over and up again, a swirl of coloured castor oil will create a coloured pattern within the glycerine that looks similar to the effect of the wax in a Lava Lamp. Beautiful, and smells good too!!