I got a new cake porn book a couple of weeks ago (daft name I know, I call them that as they make me drool over recipes in the same way men drool over porn mags, just without the sex bit!), called the Womens’ Institute Big Book of Baking. There’s so many lovely recipes in there I want to try, but of course I had to start with a chocolately one!! So, here’s the recipe for their Triple Chocolate Muffins! They are GORGEOUS, with a dark chocolate base, milk icing and delicate white chocolate curls on top. Yummy!!
As usual, pictures of my makes at the end. Would love to hear from you if you have a go at these yourself!
Triple Chocolate Muffins
(from The Womens’ Institute Big Book of Baking)
Makes: 14 muffins (though I got 20 out of it!) Preparation Time: 30 mins Baking Time: 20-25 mins
175g (6oz) dark chocolate, 175g (6oz) margarine, 175g (6oz) caster sugar, 4 eggs (beaten), 0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract, 175g (6oz) self-raising flour, 50g (2oz) white chocolate (chilled)
For the icing: 50g (2oz) milk chocolate, 25g (1oz) butter, 2tbsp milk, 115g (4oz) icing sugar (sifted).
- Line a deep bun tin or muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180’C / 350’F.
- Break the dark chocolate up into squares and place in a bowl with the margarine over a pan of hot water. Leave it to melt, then stir until smooth.
- Remove mixture from the heat and stir in the sugar. Leave to cool slightly.
- Using a balloon whisk, beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Then fold in the flour with a large metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the cases, half filling them. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and springy, then leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, melt the milk chocolate, butter and milk in a bowl over a pan of hot water.
- Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth and glossy.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Spread the icing over the muffins.
- Make curls from the white chocolate using a vegetable peeler and scatter liberally over the tops.
And your muffins are complete! All that’s left is to eat them!!