I’ve spent the last few days working on a project for my mum. She goes to yoga classes every week, and her mat holder was falling apart. So, she asked me if I could make her a replacement one, which would also give me a chance to try out my sewing skills, including making my own pattern.
Here’s how I did it:
Materials: Pattern drafting paper, material (purple and white), drawstring, handle, thread
Tools: Sewing Machine, scissors, needle, ruler, pencil, dress pins, safety-pin
- Take apart old yoga mat holder, then measure each section for new pattern
- Make new pattern pieces using measurements from old holder
- Pin pattern pieces to material and cut out (2 of base circle and 1 of all others)
- Pin body pieces together, ensuring will be right way up when open, and sew along seams
- Pin two base pieces together (wrong sides together) and sew around outside
- Pin base piece to body piece (right sides together) and sew, then turn out
- Make drawstring track at top of body piece – turn top over 0.25″ and stitch down, then turn over another 0.5″ to form the drawstring track and stitch it down at the very bottom of the track, making sure it keeps it open. Then thread the drawstring through (attach it to a safety-pin to help thread through if needed to)
- Attach the handle – pin it in place, then sew on by hand by going around the outside and making an x shape across the middle too.
And so it is complete!
Hope you like this item, and if you have anything you want to suggest I try, I’d love to hear from you!